Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pat Shurmur's son has similar football intelligence to Giants coach
Kyle Shurmur, who is a senior starting quarterback at Vanderbilt University,Womens Landon Collins Jersey, appears to know how to dissect an entire offense and every assignment needed.

“And Kyle wrote a blocking assignment book for us,” Drew Gordon, told the New York Daily News. “He sat with the linemen and showed them why we had to do this,Womens Evan Engram Jersey, Shurmur’s former high school coach, and against this defense you have man on this protection, here you have zone. That was pretty advanced. And that’s probably something he got from his father.”

The younger Shurmur attended La Salle College High School in the Philadelphia area in 2013-2014.

As for the elder Shurmur,Womens Dalvin Tomlinson Jersey, and then took his football knowledge and translated it into his coaching career. But before he got that far, he’s been dissecting offenses going back to when he was the starting center at Michigan State University, Shurmur was breaking down opponent game film in high school for Dearborn Divine Child in Michigan.

“He was a student of the game from the first time he ever played, of individuals,Womens Davis Webb Jersey,” Wes Wishart said. “He wanted an edge so the guy across from him had no chance of beating him. He was a studier of formations, of techniques. He could call a run or pass just by looking at a guy’s knuckles when he put ’em down.”

After being a long-time assistant coach in the NFL who worked under Andy Reid for many years, Shurmur got the chance in 2011 to become the head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Shurmur was hired by Mike Holmgren,Womens Wayne Gallman Jersey, who had Shurmur’s uncle, Fritz Shurmur, as his one-time defensive coordinator with the Green Bay Packers.

After Shurmur was fired following the end of the 2012 season, he re-established himself as a top assistant coach and offensive coordinator for both the Philadelphia Eagles and Minnesota Vikings before he got hired as the 18th head coach in Giants history.

The Giants replaced Mike Solari,Authentic Eli Apple Jersey, who was offensive line coach during former coach Ben McAdoo's two-year tenure. He took the same job with the Seahawks before Shurmur was hired.

Hunter, figures to be an important hire for Shurmur, 58, a former center at Michigan State who has stressed the importance of offensive line in building his team. General manager Dave Gettleman shares the line of scrimmage philosophy.

They bonded as soon as Gettleman said, "everything starts with the offensive line," according to Shurmur.

The only holes remaining on the staff are offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, which are Shurmur's two areas of expertise. Minnesota's Kevin Stefanski and Eagles running backs coach Duce Staley are thought to be near the top of Shurmur's wish list.

Most of Hunter's NFL experience came with the Chargers, where he was offensive line coach from 2006-12. He added offensive coordinator to his title in 2012.

The son of a former NFL coach, Hunter spent 24 years coaching in college, including a one-game stint as LSU's interim head coach before Nick Saban arrived from Michigan State in 2000. Shurmur coached under Saban at Michigan State.

This was the moment for which Pat Shurmur had been preparing since he was fired as head coach of the Cleveland Browns five years ago.

The new head coach of the New York Giants, just introduced by president and co-owner John Mara to a room filled with family, team officials, reporters and cameras, stepped to the lectern Friday morning and began to thank those who helped him get a second opportunity here to make a first impression.

Mara and co-owner Steve Tisch, and their respective families.

Giants general manager Dave Gettleman and assistant GM Kevin Abrams.

"It's an honor and a privilege to be the head coach of the New York Giants," Shurmur continued.

Then, out of nowhere, the lights went out.

There was a flicker inside the Giants' auditorium, and the room went dark.

Complete darkness - a fitting symbol of the lost season the Giants desperately hope to leave behind.

Two years ago, the lasting highlight of Ben McAdoo's introductory news conference was his ill-fitted suit, and that tenure ended in embarrassment with his Dec. 4 firing.

But, as the room filled with laughter Friday,Authentic Mark Herzlich Jersey,  at least from the Giants' perspective, and perhaps, a tinge of here-we-go apprehension, Shurmur quipped without hesitation: "And we're off."

The man so many suggested might be overwhelmed by the Big Apple spotlight brushed off the unexpected circumstance, refusing to let what could have been another embarrassing start get in the way of what he'd come here to do. 

"My goal was to make sure everyone got to see me for who I am, why I'm here, what I believe in,Authentic Evan Engram Jersey," Shurmur later told The Record and NorthJersey.com. "That's what I needed to do, because I don't know if I would have been able to do that the first time [as a head coach in Cleveland]." 

The Giants were not looking to hire a head coach who could win press conferences.

And this time, not only did the suit fit Shurmur — complete with a red-and-blue tie,Authentic Dalvin Tomlinson Jersey, very similar to one worn by Mara during the festivities Friday — the job certainly did as well.

"I wasn't looking for flash," Mara said. "I was looking for somebody who I could envision leading us in the future. As Dave said,  was a professional and an adult. I think he checks all the boxes there."

Now,Authentic Davis Webb Jersey,one thing to consider with Shurmur: It's far easier to replace McAdoo, who was fired Dec. 4, than having to replace Tom Coughlin, a two-time Super Bowl champion and future Hall of Fame coaching legend.

But if anyone expected Shurmur to be in awe Friday morning,Authentic Wayne Gallman Jersey, and if he did not have the answers, that certainly was not the case. He answered questions directly, he explained why. 

"I'm not intimidated,Womens Mark Herzlich Jersey," Shurmur said. "I'm only — I would say this: The only thing that frightens me is anything that affects the health and welfare of my kids and my family. Other than that, have at it. I'm ready to go."

Shurmur, 52, made Giants' brass feel like he wanted them from the moment he sat down at the table for his interview three weeks ago in Minnesota.

That certainly helped them in the decision to make the feeling mutual.

"Pat made it pretty clear right from the beginning that he wanted this job. That did resonate," Mara said. "You want someone that really wants to be here, that thinks that there’s something about this franchise as opposed to just being another job."

An emotional Shurmur joked that his three daughters — Allyson, Erica and Claire were all in attendance, as was his wife Jennifer — "cry a lot." He quickly added that he cries a lot as well at the thought of having to pay for three weddings in the future.

When Shurmur arrived at the Giants' facility for the first time Thursday, he quickly gained an appreciation for the franchise legacy of which he is now part. His name is not on any of the four Vince Lombardi trophies on display in the lobby, but the presence of that championship hardware resonated.

Shurmur has previously worked for three NFL franchises, and none of them — Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings — have won the Super Bowl. 

"This is an iconic franchise. I understand most of the history. I walked by four Super Bowl trophies," he said. "As we go forward here, I'm looking forward to leading this organization, and I want to be the coach. I understand the responsibility that comes with being the coach. I'm taking over a team that was 3-13, so we've got to own that. There's a lot of work to be done."

Shurmur has previously worked for three NFL franchises, and none of them — Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings — have won the Super Bowl. 

"This is an iconic franchise. I understand most of the history. I walked by four Super Bowl trophies," he said. "As we go forward here, I'm looking forward to leading this organization, and I want to be the coach. I understand the responsibility that comes with being the coach. I'm taking over a team that was 3-13, so we've got to own that. There's a lot of work to be done."